RTEA REP COUNCIL MEETING
October 13, 2016
DENNIS B. O’BRIEN SCHOOL
Present: Sign in sheet passed around
Time Keeper: Sue Ritz
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at the Dennis B. O’Brien School by Brian Adams at 4:00 p.m. in Room 5. A motion was made by John
Titus and seconded by Terry Suleski and passed unanimously to accept the minutes from the September 15 2016 meeting. Copies of the minutes were emailed to each member and copied for today’s meeting.
- Met with Dr. McGann regarding some hot items
- Scheduled a meeting with Nancy and Linda to discuss how they handled issues with their Superintendents when they were Presidents
- Information regarding theNJEA Convention 2016 can be found on our website, http://rtea1.org/2016/10/15/njea-convention-2016/ it includes everything from travel to hospitality. Check it out.
- NJEA “Save the Date” card handed out. This event is for early career members who have seven years or less. It will be held on November 10th in the Haven Nightclub at the Golden Nugget in Atlantic City. You can learn more on the event at org/earlycareermembers
- Brian suggested we have more members attend our Board meetings each month and would like to see some reps and at least two staff from each building attend the meetings. Please provide a signup sheet for your staff.
- Winter Leadershipis coming! March 4-5, 2017 at the Parsippany Sheraton. We encourage you to attend. There is information for all bargaining units. https://www.njea.org/njea-media/pdf/WLC2017.pdf?1476634049685
Treasurer’s Report: The Treasurer’s Report was handed out. As of October 13, 2016 we have $36,423.00 on hand. PAC money on hand as of October 13th is $6,512.17. A motion was made by Kristen Novembre and seconded by Denise Cleary. It was passed unanimously to accept the September 2016 Treasurer’s Report.
Correspondence: No report
Negotiations: Position still open. No report
PAC: Position still open. No report
Legislative: Position still open.
- Last call to attend the Jim George Conference on October 28th and 29th. In Somerset, NJ.
- We will be endorsing Phil Murphy as an early endorsement. Steve Sweeney is out
- Phone banking at the MCCEA office on RT 10. Dates to follow
Grievance: Arbitration meeting was cancelled.
Social: No report
- The Color Run took place on Sunday, September 25 in Wharton was a success. We had one new teacher run and we had 5 teachers help out.
- The Matt Bellis presentation was interesting but there was not a great turn out.
- MaryBeth attended a grant writing workshop
- Pumpkin Festis on its way. It will be held at Dwyer on October 27th from 6:00 – 7:30. Donuts and apple cider will be served. She asked if we could have 8 – 10 people from each building come to help out. Students must be accompanied by an adult. Remember this is an all hands on deck event! Share this with your friends, colleagues and PTA members! Attendees must register here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/pumpkin-fest-tickets-28555084025
- PRIDE grants due November 13th. Let’s try to come up with some ideas for the spring.
- John Titus will run the volley ball sign up again
- As of October 12th we have 489 members. We are working very hard trying to get our numbers right.
- Many custodians are not signed up. Kathy Thee got the list to Joyce. We need to verify all members on the list.
Philantrophic: Balance to date is: $12,316.75 which includes the Louisiana collection of $779.00
- We have not had to offer any assistance so far this year
- One scholarship recipient did not sign his scholarship check.
- There are still a lot of members not paying to wear Jeans on Friday. Wearing jeans on Friday is voluntary and our members need to know the importance of where the money goes. A suggestion was made that maybe an email could be sent out or an explanation put on our website.
Website: No report. Pictures of the Color Run are posted. Once we have the Pumpkin Fest -pictures will follow.
Family Leave: No report
Quartermaster: Shirt order will be coming soon. Once the order site is live, we will send information out as a text to all members. Check out our new logo on the website also! Thanks to Jen and John in coordinating the new logo which will be red and royal blue on a grey
IC: There was no IC meeting since last month. Calendars are here – please take a box for your staff.
Evaluations: Observations will be starting soon.
- PRIDE Grant workshop on e-vite
- Member benefits on website
- Jim George Workshop. If you are interested in attending the Annual Jim George Collective Bargaining Summit. It is held at the Double Tree Hotel in Somerset on October 28-29. There are a variety of topics of interest for all bargaining units. Check it out here: http://www.njea.org/njea-media/pdf/2016CBSummitRegForm.pdf?1475509893950 Please let us know by October 11, so that we can submit the forms. The event is first come, first serve so please let us know ASAP.
- Wear you RTEA shirts tomorrow
- XYZ’S OF Retirement will be held on October 27th. If you are within 18 months of retirement, you can attend.
- Kudos to John, Gina, and Catie for improving our website over the summer
- If you have something you want to see on our site: i.e. pictures, announcements, and or articles please reach out to Gina or Catie
- NJ well program is a program for all employees and can be found on our website
- The Harlem Wizards vs. the Rocketeers will be held on October 16th at County College of Morris at 3:00 p.m. Doors open at 2:15 p.m. If you plan on attending, please wear your RTEA shirts
- Dates for the upcoming Rep Council Meetings are being handed out today. The November meeting will be held on November 3rd.
New Business: Co-President’s report was read
Staff Assistants: A question was brought up regarding not giving 30 days notice and being held to the 30 days and what the recourse could be. Not giving 30 days notice could put a black mark on your record for future employment.
- We would like to know if cameras are in each building and the answer was yes. Cameras are located in the halls and outside. There is no audio with the cameras.
Secretaries: No report
Maintenance/Custodial: No report
BW: Anyone with concerns about Air Quality should complete and submit these forms here: http://www.rocktwp.org/cms/lib011/NJ01812899/Centricity/Domain/100/IAQCOMPLAINT_FORM.pdf
- Ceiling tiles have a lot of water stains and now mold is forming
CAD: No report
KDM: A question arose as to what should be in our personnel file and how many files exist. John Williams said we should look at our files periodically.
- Some teachers received their summative evaluation dated April 30th during the summer. Should we sign this since we received it after the required “return by” date? Brian said you should put acknowledged receipt and date it.
DBO: No report
SB: No report
CMS: When art and music teachers have lunch duty at CMS they do not have time to eat at a “normal” hour. So they either eat during 1st period or 7th period. This also means they could work six periods straight without a break. Administration in the building has offered if they make a phone call they will cover them for a few minutes when needed. Brian said to write up this issue and we will look into
Meeting adjourned at 4:53 p.m. Motion made by Denise Cleary and seconded by Sue Fabiano
Next Meeting: Thursday, November 3, 2016